61 years of service to the Southwest community
Full-service Food Bank through its signature 5000 Food Ministry
Service and goods distribution at Thanksgiving & Christmas for 200-plus families
A Partnership with Amidon Bowen Elementary School A headquarters for the Southwest Ward 6 Mutual Aid Gathering space for worship, community, and interfaith organizations
Our 60-plus-year-old building needs an upgraded, energy-efficient infrastructure!
Structural Expenses | $400,000
To provide a safe space for families and volunteers to distribute food products and supplies, a new roof, and a new HVAC system is needed
Operational Expenses | $100,000
To repair and maintain public areas (exit and entryways, restrooms)
Our vision for this modest campaign is to fortify our Church as the center for the community. Our church belongs to the Southwest Community.
God is doing amazing work
with our Church and partners
and even more is possible as we look to the future.
Community partnerships include
Mutual Aid, Amidon Bowen Elementary School & PTA, Yacht Club, the Southwest Clergy and Church community, Empower DC, KIWANIS Club, and Southwest Action.
Our building is threatened
during heavy storms, sweltering in the summer, and lacks heat in the winter, impacting community members
We know this work greatly benefits families.
To make the Church building into the ministry space it needs to be to effectively provide this service, we are launching a campaign to raise $500,000 to build on our strength and commitment to serve our ‘5000.’ (John 6:1-14)
About Our Missions
- The 5000 Food Ministry is a full-service food and clothing bank serving on average 100 households and 260 individuals monthly in the Southwest community.
- Our worship space welcomes all and has served as a funeral site for community members without a church home.
- Partner with the Yacht Club to supply Thanksgiving and Christmas meals for 200-plus households.
- Coordinate with Amidon-Bowen Elementary School to provide uniforms and school supplies, throughout the year as needed.
- Collaborate with Southwest Mutual Aid to offer fresh produce from the CUMC garden and the Southwest Farmers Market to the food insecure.
- Serve as operational/administrative space for community and interfaith organizations including as headquarters for the Ward 6 Southwest Mutual Aid.